Friday, February 29, 2008

You're The Only Song I Want To Hear

One of my favorite things about a song (any song as long as it doesn't suck) is its ability to make a comeback. Songs that no longer dominate your playlists and therefore fade away into the lost land of unplayed songs can pop back up with little warning. Most of the time it a matter of luck. The song will come on at that one moment and it will narrate the feeling of that moment and it just seems to make sense. There is no real logic behind it...and that is why music is magical in the mind of Millie.

My point...it has happened to me again and I fallen back in love with a song that I had forgotten. So I have decided to write about a few of older songs that have fought their way back into rotation from the vast emptiness that comes from being forgotten. Odds are, you have forgotten them too (or never have heard of the songs which is bummer) but hopefully this will bring them back into your life.

Soul Meets Body by Death Cab for Cutie - As I made my home last night, this song came on my iPod. I had just turned the iPod on shuffle, even though I had been the car for about an hour, and this was the first song that came on. Perhaps it is timing but I was shocked at the greatness that is this song. The opening line is average but it gets better as it goes on. I am particularly fond of the line: " In my head there’s a greyhound station, where I send my thoughts to far off destinations, so they may have a chance of finding a placewhere they’re far more suited than here." Perhaps it is because I spend so much time blissfully daydreaming these days. Or perhaps it is simply because it is a clever use of words. Yet the best part of the song has to be "So brown eyes I'll hold you near, cause you're the only song I want to hear." Funny how a particular feeling can make this line so true. You find yourself yearning to hear only that one voice, which is as soothing as the sweetest song, craving it more than you ever thought possible, almost as if you are addicted to the voice/song. It is the sweetest medicine and before you know it, it is the only voice/song that you want to hear. At least, that is what I think that the song is singing about. If I am right, it is an amazingly great and sexy song.

Crush by Dave Matthews Band - Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of DMB. I think that they are extremely overrated. While they do put on one hell of a show, I don't see what all of the fuss is about. That being said...this is a damn sexy song. Aside from all of the truly seductive lines of this song (and there are several...such as "I won't spill a drop, no, I promise you".), the one that gets to me the most is the line: "It's crazy I'm thinking, just knowing that the world is round. And here I'm dancing on the ground. Am I right side up or upside down? Is this real or am I dreaming?" OK so that is a few lines but whatever. Again, the way I hear this part of the song is that the singer is overwhelmed with happiness and passion that it is hard to be sure of anything, as it seems too good to be true. Of course, there are a few questionable references in this song so it might be caused by a drunken (or worse considering that it is DMB) state and it might be about the love of a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's syrup. The downside of this song...it is too long....as are most songs by DMB. I know the band can jam, but must they do it at the of every song? There is no good reason for this song to be over 8 damn minutes long!


Someday by Sugar Ray - This song just makes me want to kick back with a few good friends. It is all about remember the people who have been there for you. I have already learned that very few people are meant to be "forever friends" and this song makes me less sad about it. Being that music narrates just about every moment of my life, I can relate to the line "I hear song from another time and fade away." I don't this ever changing and that is just fine with me. Great tune.

Finally, let's close with a new installment of My MC & Me. This is MC at Sam's Club helping me get ready for Monday morning. It is going to suck if it is rainy and cold...which is still the norm this time of year in Seattle.

4 comments:

THE TODD said...

Someday when the world has passed me by, I'll lay around and wonder why you were always there for me.

Anonymous said...

Dude, so much AD here, why not clean them all?

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are not right.

Anonymous said...

Quite right! I think, what is it good idea.