Sunday, February 24, 2008

It Doesn't Make A Difference If We Make It Or Not

I really wanted to like Jumper. See...as one of the few Star Wars fans who actually thinks that Hayden Christensen can act...I really hoped that this would be the movie that would get more people on the Hayden bandwagon. Jumper wasn't terrible...but it wasn't great. There were parts that were entertaining but the ending left much to be desired. There was a climax, but once it was done, there was the familiar feeling of "So What?". It didn't seem to be worth the effort.

Samuel L Jackson continued on his "Can't Act for Shit" streak, which wasn't surprising. Rachel Bilson was okay, but nothing spectacular. She lacked the "wow" factor that was needed for someone in that role. Diane Lane was wasted in her five minutes of screen time as David's mother. I didn't buy her story in the end. If my kid was a jumper, I think it would cast a serious doubt in my mind that all jumpers should be killed. I mean, she gave birth to jumper...doesn't that count for anything? Apparently not.

So the only thing that this movie did for me was make me ponder where I would go if I could jump anywhere in the world. Perhaps it is the mood that I am in, but I would jump to Havasu Canyon. (I would have to jump because there is no way in hell that I am making that hike again.) The miserable hike aside...it was one of the greatest times of my life. The memories are some of the most vivid that I have. I still remember the sound and smell of the waterfalls. I remember the way I cried when I finally saw them. (The fact that I was sure that I was going to die without seeing them had a lot of do with it, but it was one of the most beautiful scenes that I have ever seen.) I also remember thinking that I never wanted to leave. (The thought of the hike out of the canyon was only part of it.) More than anything, I remember the spiritual side of the trip. Sadly, even if I did make it back it would not be the same as it was the first time. In spite of the beauty and the magic that was that canyon, it was the people who were with me that made it so special. I never felt closer to my friends or closer to God as I did during that trip.

So this got me on a "If I could..." trip, which as embarrassing as it is to admit, is actually a lot of fun. Chance wrote a great hypothetical blog about a week ago...which is probably why I was so quick to run with the idea. (Chance is one hell of a blogger.) So here are a few of the "If I coulds" that I came up with today during my day of Millie time at the spa.

If I could be any female character from a book, I would be Maharet from the Vampire Chronicles. I loved her character from the moment she was introduced. She was a badass who didn't put up with any shit and still managed to hold onto a few of the traits from her human days. Perhaps it is the romantic way that Anne Rice wrote about her vampires, but the appeal has always been there for me. I am not a fan of the sun anyway so I don't think that I would be missing out on anything. The way that she protected her family and used that love to keep her alive for centuries was always amazing to me. But I digress...

If I could be any male character from a book, it would be Edmond Dantes from the Count of Monte Cristo. Sure he suffered more than any good man ever should but it made him tough and smart so I suppose it was worth it. He learned how to ensure that he would never be scorned again and I respect that. Sure he was fueled by hate, pain, and the need for revenge but at the root of all it was love. But yeah the main reason is that he was able to ensure that no one fucked with him again was vengeance. It worked out in the end and that is the reason that I would go through everything that he did just to learn that one secret...to never be taken advantage of again.

If I could be an female character from a movie, it would be Princess Leia. Why Princess Leia? Because she didn't put up with any shit either. She kept Han in his place, and he loved her for it. Men rarely love strong women and yet she managed to use her strength to make him want her more. She was incredibly loyal to the Rebellion and was instrumental in its success. By far one of the best women in film. I wish that I could be strong and sexy at the same time...yet it seems that I am doomed to more like Padme.

If I could sing a duet with anyone in the world, it would be Joshua Radin. I picked him over JBJ for one reason, and that is that there is no way that I would be able to regain enough composure to actually sing around JBJ. Hell, I would probably end up in jail if I got close enough to touch him. So I picked Joshua Radin because his music is speaking to me at the moment. I actually think that we would compliment each others voice well. Any man that can make me believe again is remarkable in my mind, even if it is only for 3:00 minutes of song.

If I could act opposite any male actor it would be Eric Bana. I don't know what it is about that man but I think that he is the most brilliant actor making movies today. He was the only good thing about the movie Troy. It would have to be a drama because I don't think that he is capable of being funny with those eyes. Not saying that he is Derek Jeter sexy but he does have some unspecific appeal that makes me want to see every movie that he puts out. Hell, knowing that he is playing King Henry in The Boleyn Girl is the only reason that I finished the book. (But I am grateful that I did and have already started The Boleyn Inheritance.) I am such a sucker from men with dark hair and dark eyes.

Since it is the most popular what if question...let's close with...

If I had to listen to one song and only one song for the rest of my life, it would be Livin' on a Prayer. Why? Because it is the best damn song ever that's why. People laugh at me when I offer my default advice of "Live for the fight when its all that you've got." but it actually pretty damn good advice. Now I have to believe that if I ever was in the situation where I was only able to listen to one song...things would be not being going very well overall. So it would be in my best interest to pick a song that would motivate me to keep fighting to make it better. And as I said before, stupid though it would probably end up being...if some guy ever said "Take my hand and we'll make it I swear" I would take that leap.

Finally...here is MC and I enjoying the movies. Wherever I go, he goes.

2 comments:

The Kiskadian said...

i never loved you more than i did on that trip. makeup free, living in nature, and you never bitched once.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.celebxray.com/rachel_bilson.html]Rachel Bilson Boobs[/url]