Saturday, January 26, 2008

Music Makes the People Come Together

So with music in its current state...a good song seems to be becoming a rare occurrence. Well shockingly enough...there are a few new songs out right now that don't suck. So here they are for your downloading pleasure.

Won't Go Home Without You by Maroon 5 - Now this is the kind of song that Adam Levine should be singing as he doesn't sound like he is trying to be something that he is not. He sounds like a passionate man who is going to get the woman he wants. It has a strong opening line with "I asked her to stay but she wouldn't listen." Okay...I'll keep listening and find out why. Well the song never answers that but it is pretty awesome anyway. By the deep yearning that is conveyed in his voice...I sense that the love that he is singing about is forbidden. The best line(s) of the song is not the opening line but the first and second lines of the chorus. "Its not over tonight, just give me one more chance to make it right. I may not make it through the night but I won't go home without you." Its a great song...pretty hot too.

Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park - Let me start by saying that I don't know if I get the song. I know how I am perceiving the song...but I am not positive that it is how the boys in Linkin Park intended for it to be. Nevertheless...it is a haunting song. I heard it and downloaded it immediately, though it is kind of hard to listen to. I can listen to it just fine in the office or in the car. But when it came on while I was trying to fall asleep last night, I got the chills and had to change it. The line "And the sun will set for you" tells me that clearly someone is dying...but there seems to be more complex than that. So download it and see if I am reading too much into it.

Into the Night by Santana featuring Chad Kroger - First...both artists are hit or miss with me. I either love their music or it annoys me immensely. So this song had double the pressure on it...as together they could have managed to create the world's most annoying song. Luckily they did not. I love this song. It has a very upbeat song that I thoroughly enjoying dancing in the shower to. I suspect that the woman that they are singing of came unexpectedly into the man's life and the passion between them was too great to ignore. The line that gets me is "Like a piece of the puzzle that falls into place, you can tell how we feel from the look on our faces." Let's hope not but hey...dance on right? Oh..and did I mention that Carlos plays the guitar like a madman in this song? It is amazing.

And to further prove that these songs are awesome...I will share with you two songs that were released this week...leaving those of us with any musical taste to say "WTF?"

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008 by Michael Jackson featuring Akon - Once again...I either love what either artist releases or absolutely hate it. I took a chance and downloaded this one and I am a little more disappointed each time I hear it. First off...it should be listed as being by Akon featuring Michael because Akon sings most of the song. He puts no creative spin on it...makes no attempt to make it his own. He sounds like someone trying to sing at a karaoke bar (I have watched way too much AI...as I am starting to sound like Simon). I expected better. Secondly...I am not convinced that Akon and Michael were actually anywhere near one another when this song was produced. Michael sounds exactly the same as he did when he released this song like 20 years ago. WTF?

Dance Like There Is No Tomorrow by Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson - OK seriously...was this really necessary. Both are millioaires thanks to Idol and this still felt like they had to do a song together? Worst of all...the response on iTunes is remarkable positive. To again quote Simon "Has America gone deaf?" I think the song is terrible. Of course...singing was never Paula's strong point anyway so WTF am I surprised?

4 comments:

THE TODD said...

Did you really think that Akon and Michael Jackson would make a good song? Even more, did you really think that they could turn a shitty song into anything other than a shitty song?

When I heard Into the Night the first I thought of you for some reason. I think it is because I knew it was the type of song that you would dance around to, but I figured it would while brushing your teeth or cleaning. I thought you would have learned your lesson about dancing in the shower.

THE TODD said...

Why did you change your profile picture? I liked the Daria comparsion since you seem to ooze sarcasim these days. More importantly, what did you change it to?

I am going to keep posting this until you reply.

The Kiskadian said...

2 out of 3 ain't bad right? Maroon 5 sucks ass. I could whoop that dudes ass with one hand behind my back.

Dr. Fine said...

Have you seen the video for Shadow of the Day? Talk about depressing.

I haven't heard the Paula song but it must be bad if you can't find anything nice to say about it. Remember how much you loved that Opposites Atrract song?