Sunday, March 16, 2008

I Wonder If You'll Understand That Its Just the Touch of Your Hand



















So tonight we declare who is the better solo male artist. This is inspired by the question posed by Todd a few nights ago. Honestly, it really isn't that tough of a choice. Here is why.

Let's start with Jack Johnson. First let me say that Jack Johnson is one of the most talented artists to hit the mainstream in the past decade. His lyrics are quite good and the music that accompanies them is pretty damn good as well. I am quite fond of Jack.

But then there is Joshua Radin. There is a magical feeling created by his music that is hard to put into words. I was a fan as soon as I heard my first song of his, which as his cover of Only You. Every song that I have heard since has solidified my position as a loyal fan. (Hell he is one of three musical talents that I claim to be a fan of on Facebook.) As stated in previous posts, Joshua's lyrics seem to come directly from my life and my heart.

So let's see how they match up.

Jack is from Hawaii.
Joshua is from Ohio.
- The winner...don't care either way. Just stating the facts.


Jack has been on the music scene for 7 years.
Joshua has been on the music scene for almost 3 years.
- Jack wins this one as it is significant that he has survived longer than most solo artists.


Jack is fairly attractive.
Joshua is not so much.
- Jack wins this one too...but not by much as neither one is close to Jon Bon Jovi, Derek Jeter, or Strider.


Jack's music often has island style music accompanying it which makes it easy and fun to dance to.
Joshua's music is not for dancing...not even slow dancing.
- Jack wins again because I love to dance.


Jack's celebrity friend is Ben Stiller who is funny as hell and can be seen in the Taylor video.
Joshua's celebrity friend is Zach Braff, who is even funnier and directed the Closer video. (It is also said that Braff fought with Scrubs producers to use Joshua's music in the show which helped launch his musical career.)
- The winner is Joshua because Scrubs is freakin' awesome!


Jack's best musical cover is Imagine. It is the best version of Imagine in my opinion. (Critics be damned.)
Joshua's best musical cover is Only You. It is also better than the original. It is one of my favorite all time songs.
- The winner is Joshua...just listen to the song and you will understand.


Jack's best love song is Better Together. It is an outstanding song of love that isn't too mushy and can be danced to.
Joshua's best love song is These Photographs. It is in the Top 5 played songs on the Millie iPod and it is so wonderful. It is hard to dance to but it melts my heart a little bit each time I hear it.
- The winner...Joshua.


Out of 7 categories...it is a tie since the first one has no clear winner. So let's settle it with lyrics.
Jack has fun lyrics but few really get to me. Joshua's lyrics echo my deep feelings, some of which I have never shared with anyone. I know that he is not singing to or about me, but the fact that someone could understand those feelings is a reassuring thought. Joshua's songs make me want to believe in the mushy romantic bullshit again. So that is the reason that Joshua is the better solo artist. Hell, he might be the best solo artist around at the moment.


Let's close with a few of my favorite lines from Joshua to help demonstrate what I am talking about.

From Closer - That is our life, we walk right into the strife and a tear from your eye brings me home.

From Sky Mile - And all the gold dust in her eyes won't reform into rain. You hadn't lost the one thing you kept in a safe place, remember the face of the girl who had made you her own and how you left her alone.

From Sky - Oh, oh, oh, oh, you know the way to keep me on my toes. I, I, I will be fine - just say you'll stay forever mine.

From What If You - But for tonight I'll stay here with you. Yes, for tonight, I'll lay here with you.
From The Fear That You Won't Fall - And I know its easy to say, but its harder to feel this way, and I miss you more than I should, than I thought I could, I can't get my mind off of you.



From These Photographs - It took to long to find in your eyes, my best surprise.

From Today - I sat beside you and became myself.

From Someone Else's Life - And somehow I'll make tonight our own, I'll show you every way I've grown since I met you.

From Lovely Tonight - And you would be the last thing I saw coming, I'm still surprised


Just a reminder of who won the last time. In spite of the Derek Jeter joy of yesterday, I still stand by my decision.

No comments: