Monday, May 19, 2008

Let The Rain Fall...I Don't Care


Its Monday and you know what that means...Another healthy dose of Monday Night Shuffle!

Let's get started!

Macy's Day Parade by Green Day (142) - For all of my mixed feelings towards Billie Joe...the man can write one hell of song. The emotion and the sincerity of this song makes it one of my favorite Green Day songs. It was never exactly mainstream and in spite of having seen Green Day four times in concert, I have never seen it live. I suspect that if I ever had it would have given me chills...possibly even moved me to tears. I am surprised that the playcount is as high as it is because if I hear it in on the wrong (right?) day...it will make me cry. So again...in spite of our differences in opinions...Billie Joe and I seem to be similar creatures and this song is just another example of how so. Best line: "Because I'm thinking about a brand new hope, the one I've never known cause now I know it's all that I wanted."

Mockingbird by Eminem (46) - Much like Timbaland...Eminem is another King Midas of the music world. I admit that I love his goofy songs but this song proves that he is more than a goofy white boy rapper. The whole song is heartfelt confession and devotion to his daughter which is awesome but in the end he reminds everyone that he is still a bad ass. Even if you don't like rap music, I challenge you to say that this song isn't pretty damn great. Best line: "Everything's gonna be alright, stiffen that upper lip up little lady, I told ya, Daddy's here to hold ya through the night."

Dust in the Wind by Kansas (33) - Honestly...I was never really a fan of this song until it was used in Old School. Being that Old School was the last Will Ferrell movie that I could tolerate...it seems oddly appropriate. So until recently I would hear this song and think of that movie and smile. As of a month ago...that all changed. Recently I compared someone I deeply respect to "Blue" because he was going to event where he would be the oldest person and therefore the "Blue" of the group. When I explained this the people around me...no one got the reference (FOR SHAME!). Luckily...Dino came back and understood the joke and I finally got my well deserved (in my opinion) laugh. Best line: "All we are is dust in the wind, ohhhhhhh." You're my boy Blue indeed!

Brighter Than Sunshine by Aqualung (154) -When this song was first released it took me some time to appreciate it. In fact, I thought that it was insanely annoying because the guy singing it just seemed to be whining. Then I discovered that if you ignore his voice and focus on the words, it is a pretty damn good song. In fact, it is quite romantic and you know what a sucker I am for romantic songs. The simplicity of the lyrics is what makes it so romantic. When you are that blinded by passion you really could care less if it is raining as you wander the streets of an unfamiliar town because the excitement of the person you are with is greater than any kind of weather. That passion can compel you to reach over and touch that person no matter who is looking even it is on a busy street corner and this song seems to understand that desire. Even better, this song seems to capture the feeling of excitement that comes when all of this passion is discovered after the person has given up on the idea of romance and passion. How awesome is that? Best line: "I didn't have the strength to fight, suddenly you seemed so right, Me and you... what a feeling."

Say It Again by Marie Digby (51) - And here is yet another song introduced into my world courtesy of Smallville. It is another sweet song of love that it is catchy and easy to sing. In fact, it has recently become one of my favorite songs to sing as I am dancing around my kitchen while cooking dinner after a pleasant afternoon. Vocally it is average but the lyrics are simple and real which makes it an easy song to enjoy. Best line: "And never in my whole life have I heard words as beautiful as when you say my name."

2 comments:

THE TODD said...

This might be your lamest list yet. You managed to pick the worst eminem song!

Dr. Fine said...

Agree with the todd. Every one of these songs suck.