Monday, August 13, 2007

Top 5 Songs

So today I got one of those email polls where I was asked to name the top 5 greatest songs ever. I am not sure how RK (the blast from the past who sent it to me) classifies great so I picked five songs that are great in their own right for different reasons. Now to most people the Millie opinion doesn't count for much (of course if you feel this way, what are you doing reading my blog in the first place?) but it is my blog so here it is and why.

#5 Only in America by Brooks and Dunn. The reason is because it is the best snap shot of being an American. Obviously I love America and love being an American, and this song is sings the reasons why. These days there is more focus on the negative side of the home of the free but there are a lot of great reasons to proudly fly Old Glory. On those Whiskey Tango Foxtrot days in FOT, all I have to is blast this song and I am instantly back on track. This song answers the question...what is so great about America?..."We all get a chance...everybody gets to dance." Damn straight Only in America!

#4 Sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny. This is a hauntly beautiful song that for a long time I referred to as the Ritchie Valens song, since I first heard in the movie La Bamba. (Still one of my favorite movies BTW.) It is sexy and sad at the same time, yet strong enough not to need to words to convey its emotion. I still think of Ritchie when I hear this song...but only at first. This song makes me dream of that perfect slow dance with that mysterious soulmate that only seems to exist in mind-wandering sequences such as this.

#3 The Honey and the Moon by Joseph Arthur. Unlike the song before it, this song has lyrics and great lyrics they are. The first line of the song captured me so that it didn't really matter what lines followed. (Single guys...steal this line! Well look it up and then steal it.) Luckily the rest of lyrics are pretty good too. It is a hot song. .

#2 Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. It is hard to put this song second, especially since it is the most played song on my iPod. It has it all...it has hope, it has love, it has powerful lyrics. Odds are that you know all or most of the words and therefore you don't have to be drunk to sing it (it might help though). If you are smart ass like me...you can quote it to your troubled friends in times of woe. It might not give any answers but if the right line is quoted at the right time you are bound to get a laugh. (Just ask Dino.) Seriously, what's not love?

#1 Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi. (No surprise here.) There is no better song in my mind. It is the ultimate ballad of hope. More than that...it is incredibly sexy. I doubt I would care who the man was if he said to me "Take my hand and we'll make it I swear" I would be hard pressed not to take the leap of faith. As hot as the song is, there is another more significant reason that I LOVE this song. Livin' on a Prayer offered me the line that I try to remember on those rough days. "You live for the fight when it's all that you've got." Some days, the fight is all you have. This song reminds us to fight like hell.

And so that is Millie's five cents for the day. RK...I dare you to come up with a better list.

No comments: